Monday, November 14, 2011

Apple Zucchini Muffins

I am a week and a half into my 60 pounds of apples from Azure Standard and I'm sort of tiring of apples.  Don't get me wrong, I love apples, but I'm tired of the same applesauce, apple butter, dried apples, apples for eating... you get the idea.

I thought I'd shake things up last week by having zucchini muffins.  Woooo!  I'm definitely thinking outside the box now, right?  I didn't matter, because as soon as I started making them, one of the daycare kids was hanging on me clutching two apples.  "Can you please make apple muffins?"  Who am I to say no to a kid who wants to eat more apples.  So, we constructed a new recipe on the fly.

Apple Zucchini Muffins

1/3 cup butter melted
1/2 cup sugar (I use evaporated cane juice.)
1 egg
1 cup shredded zucchini
2 apples-peeled, cored and chopped (Although I think leaving the peel on would be fine too.)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cups whole white wheat flour (I'm sure you could use all-purpose or bread flour too-I just don't.)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine wet ingredients in a large bowl.  Then add baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.  Stir it in.  Add the flour, stirring until just combined.  Fold in nuts if you are using those.  Spray muffin cups with non-stick spray or just rub some oil in all of them.  Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.  Bake 15 - 20 minutes.

These muffins came out super moist and the kids each ate two.  That is success if ever I saw it!

Linked up with Muffin Monday at Talking Dollars and Cents

1 comment:

  1. Love this combination! Thanks so uch for linking up at Muffin Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...