Friday, February 4, 2011

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

Oatmeal is one of my favorite foods.  Granola bars, oatmeal cookies, or just a plain bowl of comforting warmth on a frosty morning-I love them all.  This morning as my daycare kids were all back after a few days off here and there because of snow, I welcomed them with apple cinnamon oatmeal.  As with most dishes I fix for the kids, there were mixed reviews.  One kid wouldn't touch it, one kid said he liked it but only ate two bites and a third had a blueberry Nutra-grain bar on the way to my house, so she wasn't hungry.  The other three kids had two bowls each and would've had a third, but I ran out.  Keeping in mind kids finickey natures, I'll call it a success, and besides, I liked it.

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

Grate one or two apples into a small saucepan, add 1/4 cup water and a teaspoon of cinnamon.  I used one apple for 2.5 servings of oatmeal and adding another wouldn't have hurt.  Simmer apple mixture until the apples are soft.  I cooked mine for about 30 minutes, although 15 would've been plenty.  I just really like the apple cinnamon smell! :)

Remove from heat and dump the apples into a small bowl.  Fix the oatmeal, according to the package directions.  Mine were boil water, add oatmeal, cook 5 minutes or until thickened.  Add the apples back to the oatmeal and stir thoroughly.  Add 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup to the oatmeal and about 1/2 cup milk.  Stir and heat through.

2 comments:

  1. sounds good! I make something similar in my crock pot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll try your idea of grating or cutting up the apples in smaller pieces for kids. Funny, but just this morning my oldest daughter was fishing out all of the peelings from the little apple slices that I had cooked into our homemade oatmeal. I think that's the best part!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...