Thursday, February 3, 2011

Apple streusel muffins

Do you ever have days where those simple day-to-day tasks sneak up on you?  That certainly happened today when I went to check and see what was for snack.  At 2:30 pm, I discovered that we were supposed to have cheese quesadillas-yet I had not made tortillas yet.  Snack was not going to be served at 3:00 if I had to roll out 10+ tortillas.  It just wasn't happening.  Plan B, anyone?

Apple muffins were supposed to be Friday's snack, so switcheroo and now today is muffins and tomorrow will be cheese quesadillas.  Let just hope that I don't forget the tortillas again. :)

My favorite apple muffin recipe comes from Baking Bites.  It is for a streusel muffin that is to die for.  Who doesn't love a good streusel topping on warm, soft muffin?  Yum!  However this recipe needed to be healthified (my new made up word for the day) in order to fit in with our move towards a better diet.

These are my changes to the recipe.
Apple Streusel Muffins
Topping:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup walnuts
I pulsed the ingredients in my mini food chopper.  It worked splendidly.  I will definitely be doing that more often.

Batter:
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 egg
1/3 cup plain yogurt
2 T. honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 apple (grated, but NOT peeled) The original recipe called for 2 and I would probably use 2 if our apple consumption wasn't crazy this week.  We've eaten 15 or so apples since Sunday night.  I'm running out.
Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 24 cup mini muffin tin.  Mix together all dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
Whisk together all wet ingredients in a large bowl, including grated apples. Fold flour mixture into wet ingredients until just combined.
Divide batter evenly into tins and top with streusel mixture.  To do this with the mini muffins, I used an infant feeding spoon.  It was just the right amount.

Bake 10-12 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack before serving.
My batch made 34 mini muffins.

Remember to fill the empty muffin cups with water before placing in the oven.  Also remember to dump the water before you upend the muffins on the cooling rack.  Yes, I've done this on numerous occasions!

At some point, I will get rid of brown sugar altogether, but for right now I'm still working on a 7 pound bag that I got before Christmas.  When that is gone, I'll find a decent brown sugar alternative.  I'll probably end up making my own for a topping such as this or using maple syrup or honey in baked goods.

Lastly, I would've taken a picture, but my little 1 year old day care baby was screaming for one from the high chair as they came out of the oven.  By the time one cooled enough for her to each, the rest of the kids flocked like vultures to the cooling rack.  6 kids, 32 muffins, 10 minutes.  Luckily I ate a couple that got stuck in the muffin pan, or I wouldn't have even got a taste. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...