Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Cream Cheese Radish dip

Since this week is dedicated to the quick and easy, stay on plan, meal ideas, I had to include this.  I love this dip, and while it's not a meal in itself, it goes well with soups or sandwiches and it is an excellent dip to take to a potluck. 

I feel dumb that I let my dislike of radishes keep me from trying this dip for so long.  My husband's aunt brings this dip to almost every family gathering-it's her signature dish, and rightly so.  It's creamy, a bit salty and doesn't taste of radishes (which is a good thing if you are me).  I like to serve it with cut-up veggies or Kashi 7-grain crackers. 

*Sidenote:  I haven't given up on finding the perfect cracker recipe, but I am taking a break.  I was using 2-4 pounds of flour a week and the budget just can't handle that kind of experimentation right now. :)

Cream Cheese Radish Dip
1 cup radish, finely chopped (I usually just chop the whole bunch b/c I have no other purpose for it and it ends up being about 1 1/2 cups.)
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 tsp celery salt
dash paprika (I go a little heavy on this as I like paprika)
1/2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1/4 cup green onion, chopped (Again, I chop the whole bunch, unless I have another dish for it to go in.)

This can be done by hand, but I really like my food processor for this.  Toss the radishes in (I cut the tops and bottoms off).  Pulse until chopped to your satisfaction.  I like them very fine.  Add softened cream cheese and butter, celery salt, paprika and Worchestershire sauce.  Pulse until the mixture is completely mixed together.  Stir in green onions.  You could use the food processor to mix them in, but it pulverizes the onions and I think the onions give the dip a nice splash of color, so I like to leave them as is.  Refrigerate the dip for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend.  Serve with veggies, crackers or even spread on bread in a tortilla as a sandwich spread.

**I'm so excited.  I hadn't thought of the sandwich spread until just now.  I want to make some more dip and put it in a tortilla with a couple slices of turkey, lettuce and tomato.  Wow!  That is soooooo going on next month's menu plan!  Just to make that a little sweeter, I used 4 superfoods!  Meals like this almost make up for the fact that I ate  junky fast food most of last week.

1 comment:

  1. This looks great! I actually love radishes and put them on everything! But my family really doesn't care for them....maybe this recipe will make them think different! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...