Saturday, January 8, 2011

My first challenge...

... and I passed.  My husband had a church meeting on Thursday evening and brought home the remaining 1/2 of a 2 liter bottle of soda.  My first thought was, "Are you kidding me?  You know I'm trying to quit!"  Although, after a few minutes of consideration, I decided that our house probably isn't going to be forever soda free.  We will have parties and such where soda will be served and, most likely, there will be leftovers.  Plus, I'm a bit proponent that most foods are ok in moderation.  My 4-can-a-day Dr. Pepper habit isn't healthy, but if the kids have a soda at a party, the world isn't going to end.  While I want to offer a healthy, whole foods diet at my house, I don't want my kids to feel deprived of certain foods.  This will certainly set up a scenario of trying to get "banned" foods.  With two girls heading into their teen years, there is enough focus on food, weight and body image as it is without their mother harping about eating only x, y, and z.

Anyway, the bottle sat on the counter most of the morning and my 3 year old was very adamant that he "needed a drink of  toda."  I held firm and told him that maybe he could have a little over the weekend.  I made my glass of ice water and walked away.  I didn't even consider pouring myself a glass.  Now, I will say that this test wasn't a true test of my inability to avoid soda altogether, because it wasn't Dr. Pepper.  But, I feel like a month ago, I would've fixed myself a glass of "other" soda just because I needed some and we didn't have Dr. Pepper.  It's progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...