Thursday, January 27, 2011

Saying bye-bye to artificial color

There it is!  Look at it in all its glory!  This package of Jell-o is (from what I can tell) the last item of our consumable food that has artificial color.  The box has been in the back of our cabinet for a LONG time.  I think I originally bought it for a dessert I was making and then changed my mind.  Since I am cleaning up/out the pantry this week, I thought we might as well use it and get it out of here.
I try to read the labels on everything I buy to make sure it meets my food requirements.  Those are no artificial colors/flavors, no high fructose corn syrup, no preservatives, and now, no GMO's.  Occasionally, towing 3 kids around while shopping, I get distracted and something ends up in my pantry that I otherwise would not have there.  To limit these mistakes, I am attempting to make bulk food orders online and when I shop in the grocery store, only buy whole foods (fresh produce, dairy and meat).  There is the whole organic vs. non-organic thing to consider, but I'm not there yet.  Baby steps, remember!  :)

UPDATE:  Last night I filled a bowl for my 3 year old and set it in front of him.  He said, "WHAT IS THIS STUFF?" (Evidently the kid had never had it, who knew?)  I told him it was Jell-o and it was a kind of dessert.  He ate it and loved it (of course), but soon after he finished he said, "What else you got to eat.  Yell-yo tastes good but I still hungry.  You got food?"  He then had a couple orange slices and a small cup of rice milk and was good to go.  At least he realized that Jell-o isn't one of those "fill-you-up" kind of foods!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...