Thursday, March 17, 2011

Banana Walnut Oatmeal

Since this week is "buying in bulk" week, I thought I'd include an oatmeal recipe.  This wasn't made with the oats I bought, but rather the last of the old.  The daycare kids have a funny relationship with oatmeal.  They either love it or hate it-although never the same kids at the same meal.  My guy loves it though, so I will continue to serve it just for him and hopefully the others will grow to love it all the time.

This recipe isn't too hard.  It's one of those "keep adding until it looks right" sort of things.  I followed the directions on the can for 2 servings (which made more than enough for 3 kids and me).  It was 1 cup of oats to 1 3/4 cups water and a dash of salt.  Stir together in a saucepan and heat to boiling then reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes until thickened.  That part isn't so hard.  Then I added 1 mashed banana, 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, a heavy drizzle of maple syrup (maybe 2-3 tablespoons) and a couple splashes of milk to thin the oatmeal to a consistency that your family likes.  Stir it all together and heat through.

Today everyone loved it, although only my guy and baby girl (14 months) ate all of theirs.  In the world of real-food and daycare, that is a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...