Sunday, March 27, 2011

I'm ruined!

Hello all!  We just got back into town from a weekend trip to Kansas City.  My side of the family (my sis, bro and their families) decided that instead of spending a lot of money on Christmas gifts that the kids really didn't need, we would get them an experience.  We chose to take all 6 of them (ages, 10, 8, 5, 3, 2 and 2) to see Toy Story 3 on Ice.  We also checked out Hallmark's Kaleidoscopes, T-Rex Cafe and of course the motel swimming pool (deemed the favorite activity by the kids-isn't that annoying?).

My family ate out 6 times in the past two days and I can't say that I enjoyed it at all.  First, the cost of feeding 5 people 6 meals was astronomical, budgeted for, but astronomical the same.  We spent more in 2 days on food that we do in 2 weeks normally.  Second, I kept analyzing the nutrition (or lack thereof) in our meals.  Before leaving Saturday morning, I fixed egg and cheese omelets and whole wheat cinnamon toast with butter.  I packed almonds and raisins for snacks on the road.  Doing well so far, right?  Then it was a downhill spiral with with Kraft mac 'n cheese kids meals, soda, french fries, hot dogs, fruit loops, Taco Bell and frozen custard with candy bar add-ins.

Everything I put in my mouth I was thinking about HFCS, GMOs, vegetable oil with an imbalance of Omega-6 fats, bleached flour tortillas filled with parabens... You get the idea.  Ask me how I feel?  Horrible.  I'm bloated, nauseated and have a horrible headache.   My little man has horrible diarrhea.  The older daughter is complaining of not feeling well.  The other two are fine, but they probably eat more junk food than the rest of us combined.  They must be used to it.

I firmly believe "everything in moderation."  Obviously, there was no moderation this weekend, but there wasn't much opportunity to eat well.  Even the salad options that I had offered little in the way of health-covered in fried chicken strips or pre-coated in Caesar dressing.  Plus, I have trouble paying $15 for a salad.  It's a salad for goodness sakes.

We are taking our big family vacation in June.  We will be driving from Missouri to Maryland and taking about 9 days (2 driving out, 5 there and 2 driving back).  Between now and then, I need to come up with some strategies to balance our eating.  It will be easier as we'll be staying with my sister-in-law and I can cook at her home, but there will still be lots of "on the road" time and eating out.  I will be scouring various menus of the most convenient fast food places to come up with some acceptable options for me and the kids (I wouldn't think of telling Hubby what he can and can't eat-that would go over like a lead balloon).  I'll also come up with some simple meals that we can pack before we start our daytrips so that we eat at least one meal "picnic style" and then eat out the other one.

This weekend was certainly an eye opener about what I can and cannot eat and what I need to do to prepare us for the big trip. 

Other than the food (and no one had any problems with it but me, I'm sure), a good time was had by all and we're already brainstorming ideas for the Christmas trip of 2012!

Now, I need to go grocery shopping and pick up the produce for this week's menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...