Thursday, March 10, 2011

French Toast Casserole

Is it Friday yet?  I've been cooking and using eggs all week, but there's just been too much other stuff going on to blog about it.  Today I'll try to crank out several posts on what I've been working on.  We'll see how long that baby will sleep today!  LOL!

Last week I made whole wheat French bread.  It was ok, but I wasn't in love with it, so I tossed it in the freezer hoping to find a better use for it.  A use presented itself fairly quickly as French toast was on my menu this week.  My mornings are usually rushed getting the girls off to school, so I don't usually fix anything fancy for them (scrambled egg sandwiches are the highlight).  I decided that I would put together a casserole the night before and wake up early to bake it.  Surprisingly I did well.  I got up at 5:20 and set it out and turned the oven on.  At 5:50, I hopped up and stuck it in for 45 minutes.  The downside is that I had it all set up to eat at 6:50, which would give the girls 15 minutes.  Unfortunately, I took the foil off the pan and that hindered the baking process.  It took an extra 15 minutes to bake.  The girls didn't get to try it until today, but they enjoyed it just the same.  Acutally, they probably enjoyed the French toast not being ready because hubby felt bad for them and got them a treat at the gas station on the way to school (I'm sure it was oh-so healthy... unlikely!)

Anyway here's the recipe.

1 pound whole wheat bread torn in pieces or cubed
6 eggs
2 cups milk
1 Tbsp. sugar (I had to use powdered sugar as I was out of both my regular and brown-it worked ok, but next time I'll use honey or maybe maple syrup)
1/2 tsp salt

Put the bread in a realatively even layer in a greased 9x9 casserole dish.  In a separate bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients together.  Pour over the bread.  Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.  The next morning set the casserole out for 30 minutes and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Remove the foil and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on the top and replace the foil.  Bake 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.  Serve with maple syrup if desired.

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous recipe! I have a loaf of 100% whole wheat bread in the freezer that I need to use. The family was not impressed with how dense it was. It will be perfect for this recipe, though. I am trying to serve several meatless meals each week. French toast casserole will make a nice change from beans or lentils!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...