Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Egg Muffins

I probably should've made these egg muffins last week for egg week, but forethought and planning don't happen that often in my world!  Anyway, last night we had breakfast for dinner: egg muffins, rope sausage, roasted potatoes and fruit salad.  The muffins are super easy to make, are easy for little hands to pick up, great for on-the-go breakfasts and they freeze well (meaning you can nuke them for 30 seconds before walking out the door.

The original recipe came from Taste of Home.  I deviated from it some just because I didn't have the exact ingredients.  But, it seems that this is a very forgiving recipe and I'm sure there are countless ways to incorporate your own tastes.  The recipe makes a dozen muffins.  I made 6 with only onion and 6 with onion, spinach and tomato.  My kids loved the plain ones (because they couldn't see the onion) and Hubby and I scarfed down the "adult" version.

Here's how I did mine...
    
    
  • 15 eggs (I used extra because some of my eggs were on the small side.  12 large eggs would probably be enough if you are using store, all the same size, eggs.)
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped spinach
  • 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I topped mine with the cheese when they were done baking.  Next time I will stir it in with the eggs like the recipe says to.)
Note:  My amount of spinach and tomato were for 6 muffins.  You might want to up that amount for 12-or choose something completely different.  And since I was doing two different kids, I put the spinach and tomato in the bottom of six muffin cups and then added the eggs on top.  If you wanted to have a "make your own muffin" meal, you could just have the eggs and spices mixed together and invite everyone to put their own favorite add-ins in a cup and have personalized muffins.

Directions:  Whisk eggs together in a large bowl (be sure to remove them from the shells first. :P ).  Add remaining ingredients and stir together.  Divide the egg mixture evenly among 12 greased muffin cips.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.  Muffins are done when a knife inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.

Edited:  I just linked up for Real Food Wednesday on Kelly the Kitchen Cop.  Go check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...