Sunday, March 13, 2011

I did it-wheat bread success!

I made wonderful 100% whole wheat bread!  Woo-hoo!  For years I've been trying to do this and it has always turned out super dense, crumbly and very dry tasting.  Not this time though!  I am such a nerd that I would name this as one of the most exciting things that has happened in a while! LOL

I picked up the recipe from Food.com.  I haven't had the best luck on there in the past.  I'm more of an allrecipes or taste of home kind of girl usually, but when I searched "100% whole wheat bread recipe," this one popped up.  There were 60+ reviews and almost all gave it 5 stars and said wonderful things.  They had me hooked.  I printed the recipe and headed to the kitchen last night (at 9:00 pm of all times).  The dough was a little hard to work with, but I resisted the urge to add extra flour, which the recipe specifically said to try and avoid.  I'm so glad I actually followed the directions.  I could tell when the bread started to rise that it had promise.

As you can see, I made one large loaf and 3 mini-loaves.  The daycare kids like the smaller loaves and it works out great for me because I only have one loaf pan.  I baked them for 36 minutes as the reciped directed, but the large loaf took an additional 5 minutes.  The top picture only shows 2 loaves, because we cut in, and ate, one of the minis within minutes of it coming out of the oven. :)

Here's the recipe.  I'm cutting and pasting the original recipe and I'll note my changes (which were minor).

Ingredients:

Directions:

Prep Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 3 1/4 hrs
  1. 1 Place the first five ingredients in the bowl and mix.
  2. 2 Add: 2 Cups 100% Whole Grain Wheat Flour. (to cool the water and end up with warm dough) Mix then add 2 Tbs of Dry Active Yeast. If your not sure about your yeast proof it in a little warm water first.
  3. 3 Add: 4 Cups of 100% Whole Grain Wheat Flour.
  4. 4 Mix until the consistency is some what even. Then continue to slowly add flour 1/2 Cup at a time until the dough quits sticking to the sides of the bowl. It should be tacky to the touch. The trick is to have enough consistency to stand up with the least amount of flour so the bread will be fluffy. It will most likely be 6 1/2 cups but in any case do not exceed 7 1/2 cups of wheat flour. You can trade one cup of wheat flour for one cup of all purpose white if you wish. Don't over mix or the bread will be tough.
  5. 5 When your dough is finished, leave it in the mixer, cover the bowl and let it rise for about 30-45 minutes. The dough will be larger but it doesn't need to double.
  6. 6 Grease two bread pans with Crisco. You can also flour the pans to reduce sticking.
  7. 7 Mix the dough again just enough to knock it down at least close to the original size.
  8. All that remained of the first mini loaf!
  9. 8 Drop the dough on a floured surface so you can work the dough and shape it. Shape it with your hands to make a nice ball getting enough flour on it so it isn't sticky. Divide the ball in half and do it again. Shape the loaves by turning the dough under it's self over and over. When the dough is shaped the sides and ends will be sealed and all you will see is a nice oblong shaped loaf with smooth sides and top. Drop the loaves in your bread pans and let them rise until almost doubled. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 36 minutes. If you forgot to preheat 41 minutes. (gas oven).
  10. 9 When done turn the bread out of the pan to a rack to cool. You can eat it right away (a great time for real butter) don't wrap it until completely cooled. (Condensation will make it soggy) Put in tinfoil to store on the counter. If you put it in the refrigerator it will turn into a brick. Enjoy.

Now that I understand the whole "sticky dough" concept, I'm going to go back and try those garlic twists and French bread again and see if I can get them a little fluffier than before.  I'll update as I get around to doing those.  Bagels are on the menu this coming week.

5 comments:

  1. awesome! how do you think it did with sandwiches? always looking for homemade sandwich bread recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zaira: I think it's going to be good. So far, we've only made a cheese sandwich and a ham/cheese sandwich and both were with the mini loaves. The kids wolfed them down, and said they liked the bread (and even ate the crusts)! I cut the large loaf this morning and had very few crumbs, so I'll have Hubby eat a sandwich with the large loaf. I have high hopes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this recipe! I have been looking for a good whole wheat bread recipe. My family wasn't thrilled with the last batch I made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this today and it turned out really well! I did add a couple tbsp of wheat gluten to it though. In all my years (being 3 LOL) of baking bread I still haven't committed to a whole wheat bread recipe yet but I think I may stick with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I gave it a go and made this bread recipe. It was so easy and it was very tasty. The kids said they liked it better than my regular recipe for my bread maker!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...