Friday, April 29, 2011

Honey Oatmeal Cookies

This has to be fast.  It is 11:42 pm already, so there's no way I'm getting 8 hours of sleep tonight. :(

This recipe started out as Oatmeal Animal Crackers.  I goofed up because I was using the original recipe and guessing what changes I had made.  I was too lazy to check my post and see what the changes were.  They ended up a goopy mess, so the second time around I made some changes that I thought would be good (still didn't check the correct recipe) and ended up with these awesome cookies.  They are a little sweet, but it IS a cookie.  If you wanted to cut back on the sugar, I'm sure you could cut it back to 1/4 cup without too much difference in taste.

The recipe:
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole white wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup honey
up to 1/4 cup water

In a food processor, measure in the oats, flour and sugar.  Pulse several times until the oats are ground up (it doesn't have to be a fine flour, but more ground than regular oatmeal).  Cut cold butter into chunks in the processor and pulse until the mixture resembles crumbles.  Add baking soda, salt and vanilla.  Pulse a couple of times.  Then turn the food processor on and drizzle in the honey followed by the water.  It should make a somewhat sticky dough.

I used a mini scoop to make same-sized balls and rolled them in my hands to smooth them out.  Place them on parchment paper or greased cookie sheet about 1 1/2" apart.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 8 minutes-10 minutes.  Cool on the cookie sheet a couple minutes before transferring them to a cooking rack.  Store in an air tight container once cooled.

I made these on Monday and they are still moist.  I honestly can't believe there are any left.  I put them in a different container, so I think Hubby and the kids don't realize they are cookies!  LOL

UPDATE:  I just made these cookies by subbing the honey for maple syrup.  I'm not sure how many cookies I'll end up with because I keep eating the dough.  They are THAT good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...