Friday, April 1, 2011

Just for fun!


Yesterday for the daycare lunch, I needed a bread to go with my grilled chicken, sauteed green beans and raisins.  Since I was a little short on time, I used the recipe for 40 minute wheat buns.  Then I got all fancy and used the braiding that I saw on Tightwad Mom's Frugal Forum (awesome idea and I'm looking for a reason to need fancy hamburger buns) to make a loaf for the kids.  They thought it was awesome and ate the whole thing.  The only change I made to the original recipe is that before baking, I brushed the top with some honey water.  It gave the bread a hint of sweetness that I love in a dinner roll.  For the loaf, I would bake 20-25 minutes.  I baked it for 16 minutes and in the middle it could have used a few more minutes.

4 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! I've never had the patience to braid bread - but maybe I will give it a try...sometime ;) For the honey water did you just mix in a little honey with water? I know it sounds simple, but is there any ration to go for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is simply supposed to be ratio...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure there is, but I didn't measure. I would say that I used maybe a tablespoon each of honey and warm water. I swished it all together and brushed it on the dough. It seemed to get a little too wet and that may have been why it needed a little longer to bake through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful bread! Fancy bread makes everything taste better.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...