Monday, August 1, 2011

Week 30: No More TV


Where the TV once stood!
 Well, after a huge decluttering binge, I am proud to say that we are no longer TV watchers.  I would say owners, but we still have one left after our garage sale that didn't sell.  It isn't plugged in and will be listed on Craigslist in the near future, so, while we still own it, we aren't watching it.

Getting rid of the TV might seem like a stretch as an actual baby step, but I've given this quite a bit of thought and here's my take on it.  It also used up quite a few materials to produce, transport, sell and all that.  Selling it to someone else keeps it out of the landfill and keeps that person from buying a new one.  That's green, right?  The TV uses electricity to operate.  If I can save a couple dollars on our electric bill each month by not having the TVs running, that is money that can be put toward the food budget and making healthier food choices.

As far as health, Hubby and the kids (ok, and occasionally me) would plop our butts down on the couch and wouldn't be seen or heard for hours.  I'm thinking that if there's no TV, we probably won't be plopping down to stare at the wall for hours on end.  That means choosing other activities, whether it be spending time together, reading, taking a walk or bike ride, etc.  Those are all things that will improve our health.


TV sitting on the chopping (I mean selling) block!

Day 1 (yesterday) was fine as we had to clean the house up from the garage sale.  We were too busy to notice.  Day 2 is getting dicey.  It is naptime and the girls usually camp out in front of the TV for at least 3 hours being quiet, so the daycare kids get a nap.  Now they are complaining of boredom, or laying right next to me as I type this looking all exasperated!  LOL

We'll see how it goes.  We've told the kids that there is a possibility of getting a TV for Christmas (used of course).  I'm not sure if it will happen or not.  It will probably depend on the money situation as well as how we think we're doing without it.  I'd like to hope that we don't really miss it, and even if we choose to get another one, we won't be as attached to it as we have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...