Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cookies for Breakfast?

My kids have a bit of a sweet tooth.  It's hard to tell if they got it from their mother or father, since we both like our share of sweets as well.  As I move to a healthier diet/lifestyle, I am trying to move away from refined sugars when I can. 

SIDE NOTE:  I am nowhere near ready to give up all refined sugar however wonderful that may be for me.  Granted, there are still 30 weeks left of this transformation, so who knows, but I love me some sugar!

Anyway, I wanted to give the kids options for something a little sweet, but also something that, when eaten, wasn't going to send the kids into sugar overload.  A breakfast cookie is just the ticket.  I first read about these cookies from Mari at Green & Thrifty, but the original recipe came from Heavenly Homemakers.

To, Heavenly Homemakers is where I want to end up in this journey, so to say that I changed a recipe that came from there is almost blasphemy.  But, it did it anyway.  I cannot lie.  I was out of honey, so I subbed maple syrup.  But, ya know what, they are good.  I've also made them with the honey and they are good that way too.  Hopefully no one will come beating on my door in the middle of the night to take me away for my evil deeds.  LOL

Here's the recipe.
1 cup butter, melted
¾ cup honey (or maple syrup)
2 eggs
1 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
1 t. vanilla
½ cup buttermilk
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups whole rolled oats
1 cup raisins or chocolate chips (while I love raisins, the girls don't, so chocolate chips it is)

Mix it all together and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.  Cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.

I made these early in the morning and got them cooked and into a ziploc bag in the freezer before they were spied.  Otherwise, we probably wouldn't have any to take on the trip!  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...