Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad

This salad is a staple at family gatherings on my side of the family.  My Mom is allergic to dairy and many salads are out for her.  Since this is one she enjoys (and can have without her throat swelling shut, which is always a plus), we always indulge her!  LOL (I'm sure that if she read my blog she would appreciate that. )

Recipe:
1 head of cauliflower, cut in bite-sized pieces
2-3 broccoli florettes, cut in bite-sized pieces (we tend to go for more broccoli, but that's a personal preference)
8 oz. bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled (I used Hormel Natural preservative free bacon.  While I'm not a big fan of Hormel's business practices, they're nitrite free bacon is the best I've tried so far.)
1/4-1/2 cup finely chopped onion (really depends on how strong the onion is and how much you like it as to how much you want to add)
2/3 cup mayo
1/3 cup sugar
1-2 Tbsp. white distilled vinegar

In a large bowl, put the first 4 ingredients in and toss together.  In a small bowl combine the mayo, sugar and vinegar.  Stir to make a dressing.  Pour over the veggies and stir to coat the broccoli and cauliflower. 

In my opinion, this is best served the same day that it is made.  I think that the longer it sits, the bacon gets chewy.  The crispness and saltiness of the bacon against the sweet-n-sour of the dressing work well togther.  Once you have soggy bacon, it's just not the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...