Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Hamburger Cabbage Casserole

Wouldn't ya know that I didn't get a picture before the meal was devoured!  This seems to be a common thread with my evening meals.  Perhaps I should start cooking earlier so the food would be done before 7:00 and my children wouldn't be so hungry that they start eating as I am scooping it on the plates.  Yeah, that might help. 

Last night I made Hamburger Cabbage Casesrole.  I sort of made it up when I was cleaning out the fridge one night a few months ago.  Since then, it has become a popular meal, with everyone except Little Man (and he doesn't care for most casseroles). 

Here's what you need:

1 pound ground beef
1/2 head of cabbage, finely chopped
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. of minced garlic (I used the jarred garlic.)
1 large tomato, chopped (or 1 can diced tomatoes)
2 cups tomato juice (more if needed)
1/2 cup hamburger helper seasoning mix
1 - 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I used colby jack cheese b/c that's what I had in the fridge.)

In a large skillet, begin browning the ground beef over medium high heat.  Add the cabbage, onion and garlic while the beef is cooking.  When the beef is completely browned, drain any excess fat off (you can use a strainer if needed).  Add the tomato, tomato juice and seasoning mix.  Stir, cover and  reduce heat to a simmer.  Simmer for about 30 minutes or until the cabbage has cooked down.  If it's too juicy, I remove the cover and let some of that extra liquid evaporate.  Add the cheese and stir throughout.  When the cheese is incorporated and melted, the casserole is done.

We served ours over brown rice last night.  We have served it over both mashed potatoes and whole wheat noodles.  Personally I like it over potatoes, but the girls prefer rice.  It's good no matter what.  You can try it out all the different ways and decide for yourself.

1 comment:

  1. sounds yummy! We love cabbage rolls and this sounds like a easier version of that. Definatly gonna try this out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...