Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Making Your Own Deodorant-harder than it seems?

Researching is going to be the death of me!  I had my homemade deodorant recipe all planned out.  I had seen it on a number of different sites, so it must be good, right?  Well, maybe not.  Last night, the more I read on my recipe, the more I wasn't sure I would like it.  The recipe is: 1/4 cup cornstarch, 1/4 baking soda and 5 Tbsp. coconut oil.  Many people said that they had skin irritation, from small, red bumps to open sores.  Others complained of a long (and stinky) detox period.  Hmmm.  These negatives are serving as a speed bump in my road.  Although, I don't consider myself to be a baby, I don't feel like having sores in my armpits or having all the kids tell me I stink (and you know they would).

I went looking again this morning and found another recipe that I think might be the ticket.  First published by Angry Chicken, this deodorant recipe has both shea butter and cocoa butter in it with the cornstarch and baking soda (both in smaller amounts).  My hope is that the moisturizing and healing properties of the butters will combat the drying action of the cornstarch and the abrasive nature of the baking soda.  Geez!  I've spent too much time thinking this through!  LOL

Anyway, here is the deodorant recipe I will be making.

3 Tablespoons shea butter
3 Tablespoons baking soda
2 Tablespoons corn starch
2 Tablespoons cocoa butter
2 vitamin E oil gel caps, optional
Essential Oil, optional (I will probably use TTO and lavendar.)

Nuke the butters, baking soda and cornstarch in the microwave for 30 seconds and stir until smooth.  Add in the vitamin E oil (squeezed from the gel cap) and Essential Oil if using those.  Pour into a small jar.  Place in refrigerator to harden.  Makes about 1/4 cup.

The downside of my new plan is that I don't have cocoa butter or shea butter.  I took care of that with one quick Amazon order and now I'll be making my own deodorant in 5-8 days! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...