Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Week 21: Celtic Sea Salt

Image Credit

Over the past year or so, I've been reading on several blogs and forums about how switching to sea salt was important.  Since I had the giganto box of Morton's from Sam's Club (like 5 or 6 pounds), I didn't take time to learn that much about it.  I wasn't tossing salt I already had to buy salt that was upwards of 7 times the cost.  Well, I've been reading Nourishing Traditions and the author does a good job of laying out why regular table salt is bad for you.  That, coupled with the fact that I ran out of the big box, I ordered a pound bag from Amazon.

I have to say that I'm amazed.  I guess I never really knew what salt tasted like before now.  It's obviously salty, but stronger and richer than table salt.  When I first tasted it, I thought back to one of my friends in elementary school that used to eat all the salt from the salt shaker everyday during lunch.  I immediatly said to myself, "there's no way that ___ could eat that much of this!" LOL

Another great thing about the Celtic Sea Salt is that I am using much less of it than I was table salt.  Since it's packed with naturally occuring minerals that your body needs, I'm still getting more benefit from it than I was with table salt.  Plus, using less means that I don't have to buy it as often.  And, at $10 a pound, that could be a budget breaker if I had to do it every month.

Recipes that will hopefully appear this week are crock pot chicken and its accompanying broth (which in my opinion is more important than the chicken itself), chicken and gravy with mashed potatoes, and pancakes.  I'll also be trying out another whole wheat tortilla recipe, so let's all cross our fingers and pray that is a success, so I can end that on-going struggle.

1 comment:

  1. I love this salt. I have both course and fine ground and got some for MIL too. Just ordered another pound of it for myself yesterday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...