Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Curried Chicken Salad

I promised that I would get around to posting this recipe.  I've been wanting chicken salad for a while now and it seemed that we couldn't keep chicken leftovers long enough to get it made.  Sunday, I got tired of waiting, so I cooked up a few chicken breasts just for chicken salad.  When I was making it, I did run into a problem.  It calls for water chestnuts.  In the middle of nowhere midwest, we don't have access to fresh water chestnuts.  The only ones we can get are canned.  Any takers on whether or not those cans are lined with BPA?  Yeah, I'm betting so.  So, my chicken salad went without water chestnuts and it was a bit lacking.  Until they aren't there, you don't really know how important they are.  Now I'm looking for a water chestnut substitute and will take suggestions-or if there are non-canned alternatives out there, that would be great too.

Oh, and I only made half a batch, but I'm giving you the full amounts.

4 cups cooked, cubed chicken breasts
1 can water chestnuts, drained and sliced (a tuna-sized can)
1 pound seedless grapes, halved
2 cups sliced celery
1 1/4 cup sliced almonds, divided (I just chopped regular almonds and that worked fine)
1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp. curry powder
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. lemon juice

Mix the chicken, chestnuts, grapes, celery, and 3/4 cup almonds together in a large bowl.  In a small bowl combine the rest of the ingredients.  Pour over the chicken mixture and toss to coat thoroughly.  Chill and top with remaining almonds before serving (although I'm sure it is prettier, I just tossed all of the almonds in and mixed it up).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...