Thursday, May 26, 2011

Cinnamon Breakfast Cake

This morning it was 80 degrees in my house.  The original plan was to make pancakes, but the thought of standing over a hot griddle for even 20 minutes was not something I was willing to do.  Plan B was granola bars from the freezer.  Oh wait, we're supposed to have granola bars for snack.  Plan C?  That was a toughie since this is the last week of my menu plan and the pickin's are getting slim.  Then I came across a smashed banana from the older girl's lunch yesterday (why oh why must children throw all the containers on top of the banana they chose not to eat?).  And, that, ladies and gentlemen is how cinnamon breakfast cake was born.

Ingredients:

In a small bowl, mix the following together and set aside
1/4 cup brown sugar (I used 1/4 cup evaporated cane juice and 1/2 tsp. molasses mixed together)
2 T. melted butter
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I like walnut.)

In a large bowl, combine the following:
1.5 cups milk or buttermilk (I used the rest of my carton of buttermilk and topped it off with whole milk)
1 smashed banana (or 1 egg-I was finding a use for said banana)
1 T. melted butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 cups flour

Once combined, pour the cake batter into a greased, square baking dish.  Then evenly spread the topping over the top (that was a bit redundant).  Bake 30-35 minutes in a 375 degree oven.  I used my roaster oven to keep the heat down.

The kid reviews were good.  Everyone ate most of it, other than the one child who scraped off the topping (what's up with that?).  I thought it was a little too moist-could've been that the banana was on the large side, but who knows.  Regardless, it had great flavor and the crunch of the topping added a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...